Thursday, February 18, 2010

yummy enchiladas

I think I spelled that wrong! oh well. (just checked and i was right) I made some supper yummy enchiladas today, but they weren't as easy to make as I'd like. They came from the cookbook Whole Food from the Whole World. I got it at a Le Leche League conference a year and a half ago and this is the first time I've opened it! I'll share the recipe with you, but I'll give an overview at the end. Let me say that I made this is kind of a hurry because we have small group on Thursdays and I needed to get dinner done before 6 but after
5:30 when Mitchel got home so we didn't have to eat out again....i really over estimated how long this took me to make. I started at like 4:15 and it was done at like 4:45. oops.
ok here it is

1 lb ground beef
16 oz of green enchilada sauce
12 corn tortillass
oil-like not very much
1/2 cup chopped onion
chedder cheese (i love cheese so i dont put an amount...lol)

PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 i bold this because I always forget to turn it on!

Brown beef in skillet, drain. heat enchilada sauce in sauce pan. Soften each torilla on both sides in heated oil for a few second; drain. Dip into heated sauce. Layer-tortilla, ground beef, onion, cheese another torilla. 6 should fit on a baking sheet. Bake in over for 5 minutes until cheese is melted.
It also says -in New Mexico, they serve this with a fried egg or lettuce and tomato on top.

So I don't know why you have to soften the tortillas first. it was very messy and the tortillas kind of fell apart. I forgot to soften one and just put it in the heated enchilada sauce and it was the same as the others (too me). Maybe there is a reason though. Also, the next time I make it I will put the onions in with the beef like halfway through the cooking of the beef jsut because I don't like the strong crunchy onion taste. also I didn't know if Brighton would be keen on such a strong taste, plus I still worry about how it will come out the other end!

Also, this meal was very quick to prepare abd cook. I didn't read all the way that it was only going to take 5 minutes to cook in the oven! I will learn my lesson someday! I will also learn to take a picture so you can see how yummy it looks.
This is one of my favorite recipes so far. I will definatly do it again now that I know how long it takes and what all is involved. I hope you make it too someday! If you do, you have to tell me how it goes.
Tomorrow I'm not making anything because I'm going to play Bunko with some friends from church!