Sunday, August 15, 2010

Adventures in Potty Training

Funny and true story: One day, while in the bathtub, I stepped out of the bathroom for a second and while in the hallway I heard a *plop* and a giggle, then another *plop* and more giggles. I ran back in the bathroom thinking he was pooping in the bathtub. Nope, he wasn't acutally pooping, he was standing up holding his bath toys at his butt cracking and letting them fall in the water! He does this alot now. He stuck a dime between his butt cheeks and when he bent over it fell out and he said "look mommy! I pooped!" If only my child really pooped money.

So Brighton is 2 (27 months) and we are working on potty training. We cloth diaper so he can feel exactly when he pees. He also knows when he needs to pee or poop because when he's naked he freaks out about it. We just can't get him to pee and poop on the potty.  He asks for his diaper to be put on if he's naked or he'll tell me as soon as he goes that he needs changed. I think it's going to be a longer process than I originally thought. I've tried bribery, and he doesn't really get it yet. Does anyone have some good potty training tips. I've been doing positive reinforcement lately.  Brighton seems to respond better to that than to being put in timeout and yelled out.  So when we're on the potty I just try to praise him and tell him he's a good boy for sitting on the potty, and that he needs to pee on the potty.

1 comment:

Parenting Skills said...

We are on the potty training journey for the 4th time. The first 3 were quite awhile ago. Here we go again. Stickers for using the big boy potty.