Tuesday, March 9, 2010

this was really yummy!

I took a risk fixing this for dinner because Mitchel doesn't like sweet potatoes. But I did because it made 10 servings and was cheap to make. I did everything the same in the recipe but I used 15 ounce cans of beans. 1. because I'm not big on beans and 2. I could only find 15 ounce cans at the store. I also used regular ground beef. I don't know if that different that ground round steak or not. Oh, and I guess I for go the ground cloves. I just noticed that. Oh well.

I had to run off to a LLL meeting so Mitchel had to finish cooking it. It turn out really yummy. Mitchel even liked it! So I will be cooking this again.
The only items I had to buy for this meal were, chick peas, white beans (great northern beans?), and sweet potatoes. Everything else I had in my pantry. I hope you try this. It could also be vegetrian if you leave out the beef. I don't know about the cheese though. I know some who eat cheese and some who don't.

Ingredients

1 can (19 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 can (19 ounces) white beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (19 ounces) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 pound ground round steak
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/3 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
4 sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
Directions

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 4-quart casserole with cooking spray.

2. Combine beans, ground round, sugar, salt, cinnamon, allspice, pepper and ground cloves in a bowl.

3. Layer one-third of sweet potato slices in casserole. Spread half of bean mixture over top. Sprinkle with third of cheese. Repeat layering again. Place remaining third of sweet potato slices on top. Cover with foil.

4. Bake in 350 degree F oven for 1 hour. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top. Bake, uncovered, another 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Makes 10 servings.

No comments: