Tuesday, March 2, 2010

why i started cloth diapering

Before I was even pregnant with Brighton I started listening to this podcast on my ipod called pregtastic and it was basically a round table of 3-5 pregnant moms at different stages of their pregnancy talking about their experiences. They would have different topics each week about pregnancy, babies, birth, after birth things and pretty much anything you would want to talk about rguarding this subject. I really enjoyed listening to them because it was realy women talking candidly. This is podcast also made me decide to breastfeed. They had a many episodes about nursing, but they also had episodes about formula too which i liked because it gave both sides.

So anyway, they had a podcast about cloth diapers and featured the founder of happy heinies cloth diapers and I became in love with the idea of cloth diapering. They talked about the enviornmental impact of disposables and the impact on baby's skin and body and how much it costs to diaper a baby using disposables vs cloth. In my mind cloth was the way to go. So i began researching cloth diapers and couldn't find anywhere that sold them near me until I moved to Newton,KS and came across the Healthy Baby Boutique. I went in there and Kendra (the owner) had a whole huge wall dedicated to cloth diapers and I felt like I was in heaven. She was so helpful and told me all about cloth diapers and helped me pick out the best ones to buy. She gave me her own personal experience with them, good and bad. I made it known to some close friends and women at church that I wanted to cloth diaper and they seemed to be on board and I received most of the stash from them. and I my loving Aunt bought me some too! I love changing Brighton's diaper knowing that I'm saving money, helping the enviornment and also and I'll save even more money when I have another baby, because I won't have to buy any diapers! Well maybe a few...lol

SO anyway. There's why i started cloth diapering. I don't know if they still have that podcast, but you should listen to it if they do!

1 comment:

Emily's Family said...

Cloth diapering is so good for your child and the economy!

I have cloth diaper giveaways on my blog here.

http://couponmommyof2.blogspot.com/